- What is expected of me?
- What should I expect of the Project Manager?
- What kind of decisions am I expected to make?
- What should I do when things don't go as planned?
- What information is required/ available to help me make decisions?
- Whom can I approach for support?
- How can I adjust the method to my own project?
What is the core of the PRINCE2 method?
The PRINCE2 method was created for all project stakeholders. It is universally applicable - it provides principles, processes and techniques that enable managing any project.
PRINCE2 is a structured project management method characteristic by its logical, controlled & "good common sense" approach to managing projects.
Its main parts include:
- Process model
- Establishing the organization needed to manage the project
- Definition & enforcement of clear responsibilities for directing, managing & delivering the project to make it run in the most effective and economic way
- Applying management by exception, which plays a key role in problem solving within the project.
What benefits might your company expect from implementing the new version of PRINCE2: 2009 method valid from 16th June 2009?
- It is applicable to all types of projects and easy to integrate with other AXELOS standards, e.g. ITIL, MSP, P3O
- It is generally accepted and provides a common vocabulary for all project participants, what supports effective communication
- It offers more practical advice how to tailor the method (especially for small projects)
- It focuses on benefits, their monitoring and realization
- It is not bureaucratic: it does not require documents and meetings, but information and decisions
- More practical tips, less prescriptive, more flexibility
- Manual volume was decreased compared to 2005 version
- It shows clear linkages to other standards and bodies of knowledge.